Have you ever experienced the frustrating situation where your lights flicker when the AC comes on? It can be quite annoying and even concerning, but fear not, because PROFLOHVAC is here to help! As leading contractors in the industry, we have extensive knowledge and experience in dealing with such issues. In this article, we will delve into the reasons behind this problem and provide you with expert solutions to resolve it.
Understanding the Phenomenon
Lights flickering when the AC turns on is a common occurrence in many households. This phenomenon usually happens when the AC unit pulls a significant amount of power from the electrical system, causing a momentary voltage drop. The sudden drop in voltage affects the power supply to other appliances connected to the same circuit, resulting in the flickering of lights.
Several factors can contribute to lights flickering when the AC comes on:
- Inadequate electrical capacity: If your home's electrical system is not designed to handle the power demand of your AC unit, flickering lights may occur. Older homes or those with outdated wiring systems are particularly susceptible to this issue.
- Loose electrical connections: Loose connections within the electrical panel or outlets can cause voltage drops when the AC starts, leading to flickering lights. It is crucial to have these connections professionally checked and tightened.
- Faulty wiring: Damaged or faulty wiring can interfere with the smooth flow of electricity, making lights flicker during AC operation. A comprehensive inspection by a qualified electrician is essential to identify and rectify any wiring issues.
- Undersized circuit breakers: If the circuit breakers in your electrical panel are not appropriately sized for your AC's power requirements, they may trip or cause lights to flicker. Upgrading to the correct size breakers can help alleviate the problem.
When confronted with lights flickering when the AC comes on, it is crucial to address the underlying causes promptly. Here are some effective solutions:
1. Electrical System Upgrade
If your home's electrical capacity is insufficient for your AC unit's power needs, it is recommended to upgrade your electrical system. This may involve replacing outdated wiring, installing a dedicated circuit for the AC, or upgrading the electrical panel to accommodate higher loads. A licensed electrical contractor, like PROFLOHVAC, can assess your electrical system and provide tailored recommendations.
2. Tightening Connections
Loose electrical connections are a common cause of flickering lights. It is crucial to have a professional electrician inspect and tighten all connections within the electrical panel, outlets, and switches. Secure connections ensure smoother power flow and minimize voltage drops.
3. Wiring Inspection and Repairs
A comprehensive wiring inspection should be carried out to identify any damaged or faulty wiring. Any identified issues should be repaired promptly by a qualified electrician to ensure proper electrical conductivity and eliminate flickering lights.
4. Circuit Breaker Upgrade
If undersized circuit breakers are causing the issue, consider upgrading to breakers that are specifically designed to handle your AC unit's power requirements. This will prevent unnecessary tripping and mitigate the occurrence of lights flickering.
In conclusion, experiencing lights flickering when the AC comes on can be bothersome, but it is a fixable problem. By understanding the possible causes and implementing the right solutions, you can eliminate this annoyance from your daily life. Remember, always consult professional contractors, such as PROFLOHVAC, to ensure safe and reliable electrical installations and repairs.
If you are facing issues with lights flickering when the AC comes on, don't hesitate to contact PROFLOHVAC at +1234567890 or visit our website www.proflohvac.com for expert assistance. Our experienced team of contractors is here to help you resolve any electrical or HVAC concerns.lights flicker when ac comes on